Genre: Turn Based Tactical RPG
Engine: Unreal Engine 3
Development Time: 6 Months
My Role: Level Designer
- 4 Different Characters With Unique Abilities
- 6 Levels With Unique Environments and Missions
- Ending Boss Fight With 3 Different Stages
- Many Different Enemies That Will Work Together to Defeat You
- Created the initial design for the third level and the final boss fight.
- Whiteboxed, playtested, and iterated on the design of the third level and the final boss fight.
- Created all of the scripted elements on the third level and the final boss fight.
- Created the cinematics on the third level and the final boss fight, and then did a polishing pass on all of the cinematics.
- Worked with a programmer to playtest and debug the enemy AI.
- Worked with an artist to get assets created for the third level and the final boss fight.
- Placed the majority of the environmental assets on the third level and the final boss fight.
- Worked with other designers to create the story.
- Worked with other designers to create the various skills used by both the players and the enemies.
- Worked with a programmer to playtest and debug the various skills.
On the third level, the players have to protect the cart (the green circle in the middle of the map) from several waves of enemies. Every few turns a wave of enemies will spawn and attack the player. The enemies will either come out of the gates (the red circles on the map) or be summoned in at random locations (marked by the blue circles on the map). The player can either sit back and defend the cart for a while, or send a few members out and close the gates, lowering the number of enemies spawned. After fending off several waves, the main gates open and the player is attacked by a small group of more powerful enemies. This is also the first time the player fights an enemy that is able to wield magic. After defeating this group, the player can continue on to the next level.
On the fifth and final level of Midgard Saga, the player fights the final boss, Loki, before being able to continue through the gates of Asgard. The final boss fight consists of three stages that all increase in difficulty. In the first stage, the player fights Loki who can teleport around the level. When he teleports Loki changes his skillset, choosing between a tank, melee, and caster skillset. After defeating him, Loki will teleport to the side of the map and summon a shadow clone of each of the heroes in each corner of the map. These clones are each equipped with different abilities that the player could use and work together to defeat the player. Defeating one of the clones will pass some of its life force back to its counterpart, giving a small heal to the corresponding hero. After defeating all of the clones, Loki will teleport back into the level and split into three different characters. Each individual Loki has a different skill set that compliment each other. One of them is a tank, another is a heavy hitting melee character, and the other is a caster that will use his spells both defensively and offensively. After defeating these three, the gates of Asgard will open up and allow entrance to the heroes.